Rachel Getting Married

Rachel Getting Married is a contemporary drama with an aggressive sense of humor about the return of an estranged daughter to the family home for her sister's wedding. Kym's (Hathaway) reemergence throws a wrench into the family dynamics, forcing long-simmering tensions to surface in ways both hilarious and heartbreaking.

This is definitely one of those too much buzz movies. I had heard so much about how great it was that by the time I saw it I kept asking myself why everyone though it was so great . . . . except for Anne Hathaway's performance. That was great. This movie is basically like the female equivalent to The Wrestler for me this year. Hathaway and Rourke put forth awesome performances but the rest of both movies was pretty blah. I actually found myself getting pretty annoyed during this movie because this was the weirdest wedding I've ever seen. It ended up hitting me as completely absurd to be honest with you. However, it was nice to see Anne Hathaway break out of the Disney princess roles she usually takes on and she was deserving of her best actress nomination.

I wouldn't really recommend that anyone rush to rent this. The movie is as a whole is kind of "eh" and she didn't win the oscar so waiting for cable might be a better choice.