Frozen River

Frozen River is the story of Ray Eddy, an upstate New York trailer mom who is lured into the world of illegal immigrant smuggling when she meets a Mohawk girl who lives on a reservation that straddles the US-Canadian border. Broke after her husband takes off with the down payment for their new doublewide, Ray reluctantly teams up with Lila, a smuggler, and the two begin making runs across the frozen St. Lawrence River carrying illegal Chinese and Pakistani immigrants in the trunk of Ray's Dodge Spirit.

This was actually a really good movie. It kept my interest the whole time and you really found yourself getting hooked in to the characters. The cinematography was great and really took you to a part of this country that I couldn't possibly imagine living in. The only thing that kind of tainted this movie for me was that I saw it after Melissa Leo had gotten nominated for best actress for it. I found myself distracted by that and spending big parts of the movie wondering why. Its not that she was bad, but really didn't see the oscar consideration whatsoever. I also found the guy that played her oldest son insanely annoying. His performance was great, but hes just one of those guys that I found very annoying on sight. Don't play dumb. You all know the type of people I'm talking about. I wanted to jump in to the movie and give him a hair cut and then slap him.

I would definitely recommend people checking this out. It really was a great movie. Not sure that its oscar worthy, but definitely worth the rental fee.